Friday, December 16, 2011

Peer Review Feedback & Semester Reflection

What I have learned from the literature we studied this semester? I have learned a big dealt of the literature, plus I also have learned so many new things from this course.

I have learned about how to write critical analysis paper based on critical theories. When I wrote the first paper about Persepolis, I used formalist theory that I did not know how to put down on my paper. I had to do a lot of research on how to write this type of theory, it was such a big challenge that I loved to try. After the peer review this first paper, I was so disappointed because all my effort was turned down. From the peer comments, my paper came out the controlling idea was not clear, the analysis was not thoughtful, the argument was not well-organized with TEA paragraphs. It was a hard task for me to start over my paper. I had to go back to my notes and read over and over again about writing TEA paragraphs. Thanks to miss Knapp that she required us to write TEA paragraphs in group each class. That really helped me to learn deeply about how to write a complete paragraphs with topic, example/evidence and analysis.

For using blog to post weekly journal, from beginning I was really shock and scared that I could not survive for ENG1B class because I did not have any idea about blog. However, after week by week I felt comfortable with it, and also it gave me a good chance to read other posts and give comments. For the play The Glass Menagerie, I found interested in learning it becasue I could use literrature to apply to our real life. It was fun that we worked with our group and acted in front of our class.  For In Dubious Battle, after reading this novel I have learned more about the life of Americans and migrant workers during the Great Depression. I also knew more about the UFW organization and 2011 movements that totally I have never had a chance to think about.  

Finally, I really enjoy learning this class with miss Knapp, and also I want to thank to her effort to help us learning the new critical theories, TEA paragraph, and the new technology system applied to study.


==========================

Title: PEER REVIEW FEEDBACK

I have received the comments and feedback from two Peer Reviewers, most of them were YES and ALMOST. This second paper I have improved a bit on critical analysis writing compared to the first one.  The main points that I was missing were thesis statement and conclusion. From beginning, I have tried to do a lot of research and put them together on the paper. I just listed down into paragraphs that  whatever I thought they were useful, then I kept pouring the ideas out. I was aware that I missed the thesis statement but I was still thinking what I should give a strong one. Another issue, that I spent so much time on writing the paper based on the course outline before I received email from miss Knapp's instruction of the second paper. So, I had to revise the whole thing for my paper. Thus, I did not have enough time to complete.

After the peer review feedback, thanks to Jim and Joy that they marked some advices on several sentences needed to edit and revise. I re-read the whole paper and edit a few paragraphs that missed topic sentences and/or conclusions. After reading the whole paper, I finally figured out what thesis stament for the paper. Even Jim recommended that I should use one of idea from the introduction, however I thought that was too general to support my paper. Finally, I felt relieved that I got my paper done. It was not easy! Hopefully it will be on the right track as per miss Knapp's expectation.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, writing is so difficult! I agree. I'm glad that you were able to gain some more knowledge and experience in this class. I enjoyed reading your final draft...so the hard work paid off! You have also done an excellent job on your blog this semester. The best way to improve your writing is to: read and write. I can tell that you did so much of both this semester. Thank you for being such an important member of our learning community!

    ReplyDelete